Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Painted a Shower Curtain?!

Say the title of this post like Baby said, "I carried a watermelon?!" in Dirty Dancing. That's about the astonishment I'm looking for.

At this point, you know that we've been renovating our guest bathroom. When I last left you, it looked like this:


It was coming along, but still lacked a few necessities - like a shower curtain. I've been eying a certain striped West Elm shower curtain, but when I went to order it the curtain was back-ordered for almost a month. There was no way that I could wait that long, so I starting looking on Pinterest for diy shower curtain tutorials. I was lucky enough to happen upon this blog and her awesome tutorial.

I headed to the store where I bought a white twin flat sheet and fabric paint. I wanted to have gray stripes, but unfortunately the world of fabric paint isn't on the gray bandwagon yet. Thank goodness for elementary school art class, because I quickly realized I could just mix black and white paint. Problem solved. I bought two tubes of each and was on my way.

When I got home, I hemmed the sheet so that it would be the perfect length for our shower. I also snipped an opening in both ends of the factory-made hem so I could put the shower rod through the top of the sheet. There was no way I was going to attempt to make button holes!

My shower curtain conveniently ended up being 77 inches long, so I made seven 11 inch stripes. Taping out the stripes on the fabric was definitely more of a pain that measuring on the walls, but I ended up with this:


Next, I mixed together the paint until I ended up with a shade of gray that I liked. I used two tubes of white paint and just one tube of black.



Painting the stripes took about an hour and a half, again it was much more difficult than painting the wall. I was in the icky basement too, so I think that made it feel like it was taking forever!


I pulled the tape immediately and then left it to dry in the basement overnight. I hung it in the bathroom today, and I am so happy with the results!


After a few tries, I finally found a bath mat that I liked. It breaks up all of the geometric patterns and adds a little feminine touch. It came from Target, of course!


The framed geometric print came from Home Goods. (I was there returning one of the failed bath mats!) I love how just a few things have added so much vibrancy to the room. I finally added a towel bar and a robe hook that we'll use for the hand towel for now.


I'm still on the hunt for some sort of storage piece to fill the corner next to the vanity, but it's certainly really close to being complete. It feels amazing to have a bathroom that we designed completely and that really reflects our style. I love it :)

I hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July! We saw The Amazing Spider-Man this morning and I must admit that it was really good. I'm heading to the pool in a little bit. What is everyone else up to? Any house projects or just enjoying the day with family and friends? Whatever you do - enjoy!

Thanks for reading,
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love hearing your feedback! Its a great feeling to get a comment and realize that people are actually reading this blog. Thanks for taking the time :)