Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hooks are Handy!

Sometimes the littlest fixes can make your house run more smoothly. I recently used two double hooks to solve a few annoyances in our house.

I despise having extra things on our counter tops. Everything that we use on a daily/regular basis should have a home. Unfortunately, our keys kept ending up on the counter. I'm sure everyone does it. Come in, drop the mail and your keys on the counter and then go about your business until you leave again and pick up the keys. We have a small mudroom when you enter the house, but there was no place in there for us to store our keys.

Enter a scrap piece of wood, a double hook, a wooden "P," some leftover paint, and a picture hanger. I combined all of these random materials to make a cute key hook.

 I attached the picture hanger onto the back so that I could hang it in the mudroom. There was no need to paint the back of the wood since it was going to be hidden from view.
 I think it turned out great and I had the perfect spot to hang it. Since it's a double hook, there's even a place for Simon's leash.
The second place that a hook saved my life came in handy was in the laundry room. I needed something to corral all of my grocery bags. They used to be shoved into the cabinet in our laundry room and it was a battle to get them out every time I went to the market. Luckily, I had one more double hook leftover so I put that bad boy to work! I hung it right behind the door in the laundry room.
There are a few reasons why I loved this fix: the bags are so easily accessible now and they are out of sight and behind the door. The unruly bag problem has been solved!

What are some simple fixes you've used in your home? I'd love to get more ideas!

Thanks for reading,
Kathleen

2 comments:

  1. Love the way you personalized it. So easy, but effective and attractive!
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! My husband came home from Walmart with this letter one day because he knows how much I love them. It was a perfect fit for this project!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing your feedback! Its a great feeling to get a comment and realize that people are actually reading this blog. Thanks for taking the time :)