Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pinterest Challenge Time - No-Sew Crib Skirt

I'm so happy that I actually accomplished my goal and took a few pictures of my latest nursery project just in time to participate in the YHL & Bower Power Pinterest Challenge. Forgive the fact that the pictures were taken on my phone. It was late (ha, 9:45 pm!) and I was being lazy.

If you've been following along, you already know that the Chalupa's nursery has been painted (Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore) and I made some really lovely curtains that add a huge pop of color and pattern.

We ordered and assembled our crib several weeks ago.  After reading lots of blogs and reviews, this is the crib that we ordered. I love that it has a modern look, converts to a toddler bed, and is really affordable. Since young house love is one of the blogs that recommended the crib, I immediately went to their blog to to read up on how they made the crib skirt. There's a space between the mattress and the drawer under the crib that needs to be hidden, at least until the Chalupa gets big enough for us to drop the mattress down. (Don't mind the stuff in the crib, its become a bit of a storage spot during the construction phase of the built-in!)

I followed the tutorial to the letter. You can find it here if you're looking to complete the project.

When choosing fabric for the crib skirt, I knew that I needed to find something that would work for either a girl or a boy, since who knows what the gender of any future Picketts will be. I found the cutest navy blue polka dot fabric in the quilting fabric section of JoAnns. The fabric was on sale, so my yard and a half only cost $6! I already owned the iron-on hem tape and the velcro, making the six bucks my only cost. Even if I count that cost of the tape and velcro, the total for the crib skirt still comes in under fifteen bucks. Score!


If you are a good seamstress, then you could easily sew the crib skirt. My seams tend to come out a little wonky, so the I was happy to use the hem tape to ensure nice straight lines.

My apologies again for the lack of pictures. I'm really planning on getting some nice photos during the daytime this weekend, so I'll be sure to post them asap.

Just like most other bloggers, Pinterest has been my go-to place for all kinds of decorating inspiration. We have a bunch of other projects in the works, including an alphabet wall and a built-in. I can't wait until the construction part of the process is over so I can move on to the really fun stuff :) If this is the first time you've visited my blog, thanks so much for stopping by!

One question for any mom's and dad's out there - what's your opinion on the crib bumper debate? We registered for the breathable kind, but I keep reading that bumpers are dangerous. Any suggestions for these first-time parents? They are much appreciated!!

Thanks for reading,
Kathleen


2 comments:

  1. Looks good Kath! As far as the bumper we kept it in the crib until it started to be used as step stool to climb out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I just bought your curtain fabric, but in the green version, and I have the same crib! Weird.. LOL! Found you on YHL's pinterest round-up, and I'm trying to figure out the crib skirt too. Just wanted to add my 2 cents about bumpers... This is my 4th baby (4th nursery!), and I've always used bumpers. I get the less-bulky ones- more streamlined versions like the ones they sell at IKEA- and recover them to match (which is super simple with stitch witchery). But there is little worse than hearing your baby roll over and bonk their head, waking them up and hurting their sweet foreheads. Or having them get a limb stuck through the side. Ouch. So we use bumpers. Besides, you will be so obsessed with your little one that you will be checking on them pretty regularly. :) Good luck! And Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing your feedback! Its a great feeling to get a comment and realize that people are actually reading this blog. Thanks for taking the time :)